[Qgis-user] How to maintain text font sizes in a map template?

Grant Dickins grant.dickins at eriasgroup.com
Tue Oct 16 17:56:05 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

(Preamble - we are recreating map templates in QGIS to be identical to what existed in ArcMap. We're moving away from Arc and I am relatively new to using QGIS full time.)

Question:
I am using 3.2.3 (9b176802e5) to build map templates so we can we recreate maps fast with a consistent style.

However, when I manually set text boxes with font to size 5 (Arial Narrow) - meaning a font size outside of the drop down list options which go to a minimum font of only 6 - the template does not save with the changes, i.e. upon opening the template all size 5 font text has re-sized from 6 and non-narrow. Hence, text in our title block does not fit and now overlap each other.

Examples.
Preferred text font - size 5 Arial narrow.

After saving the template then re-opening it to make a new map the same text has reverted to size 6 Arial non-narrow. Why?

How can I make the template maintain text sizes that were set in Item Properties so they stick permanently and when we open the map template each time?

I have tried by locking the Position and Size options for each text box but even the little locks are unlocked again when I open the template. Is there a limitation when using minimum text sizes or have I missed the way to set font sizes permanently?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Grant