[Qgis-user] English only list or Main list?

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Oct 19 06:07:36 PDT 2018

Hi,

This is a public rant. I find it extremely offensive to read comments like “this is the English list” to people who write to this list in any other language than English.  While resent comments were also accompanied by genuine offers to help (therefore I consider that authors probably had only good intentions), please keep in mind that many people who use this list come from countries where comments like “speak English”  is often the equivalent to “speak white, speak American or speak canadien in my case”.   I realize this is not the case in every country but please be careful about this type of comments.  OpenSource community is about reaching out and helping others, not creating barriers.

If you disagree, please note that the QGIS site refers to this list as the “The MAIN list for user questions: used for discussion of QGIS in general, as well as specific questions regarding its installation and use.”  The MAIN list... not the ENGLISH list. This message is also repeated in other languages as can be seen here.

If you are still offended, please keep in mind that QGIS is primarily, to my knowledge, a European effort made by people who have German, Austrio-German, Spanish, French, Italian and other as their first language and that they are developing in English, their second, third or forth language.  You should be grateful for their efforts to reach out the international community in a language spoken a cross the world.

Nicolas Cadieux