[Qgis-user] English only list or Main list?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Oct 19 07:22:23 PDT 2018

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, 19. Oct 2018 at 09:07:36 -0400, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
> This is a public rant.  I find it extremely offensive to read comments like
> “this is the English list” to people who write to this list in any other
> language than English.

I don't.  This is the main user list and it's in English - because that's the
language everyone here understands - if you don't understand English, there's
not much point subscribing in the first place.

Using a language other than that excludes the majority of the subscribers from
benefiting from what is being said and from contributing to the discussion.

And I don't find a response that clarifies this and also points to a better
suited list offensive either.  Maybe even with a English translation if the
original posting seems relevant to all.

> If you disagree, please note that the QGIS site refers to this list as the
> “The MAIN list for user questions: used for discussion of QGIS in general, as
> well as specific questions regarding its installation and use.”  The MAIN
> list... not the ENGLISH list. This message is also repeated in other
> languages as can be seen here.

Hm, that might be a translation issue.  We used to point to local lists there
(eg. fossgis-talk-liste at fossgis.de for German) - but that's apparently
meanwhile gone.

> If you are still offended, please keep in mind that QGIS is primarily, to my
> knowledge, a European effort made by people who have German, Austrio-German,
> Spanish, French, Italian and other as their first language and that they are
> developing in English, their second, third or forth language.  You should be
> grateful for their efforts to reach out the international community in a
> language spoken a cross the world.

I don't get that point.   Developer's post in English here.  Developer's - at
least I do - also prefer others to post in English here.  And if somebody
posted in German, I'd probably point the person off-list to the above list.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode