[Qgis-user] QGIS Live GPS Tracking Settings (QGIS 2.14)

Brent Wood Brent.Wood at niwa.co.nz
Thu Oct 25 01:09:15 PDT 2018

Hi Malhar,

I'm currently looking to fund a QGIS developer to add the ability to (optionally) save the GPS timestamp along with the point feature.

If you also have work you'd like done in the GPS panel, I think we could perhaps save costs by collaborating on a single upgrade for all our desired functionality? Please contact me if you are interested.

Note that you can sort of achieve your goals by recording the GPS data directly into a database (rather than a shapefile or non-RDBMS dataset). Then plot the data from this table instead of using the live GPS display.

You can then open a layer which has a SQL something like:

select * from table where timestamp > now - interval('10 minutes');

Then use the capability described here for that layer: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/1683

This gives you the last 10 minutes data - or any interval you want, refreshed automatically as required

To use an SVG symbol such as an airplane for the current position, you can create a new point layer with a query like:

select * from table where timestamp = (select max(timestamp) from table);

This will always return just the latest point feature... and if the timestamp is indexed, it can do it pretty quickly.
Assign a suitable airplane symbol to the layer and set this layer also to redraw automatically.

Then assign the label for this point layer to be built up as a string with deg/dec min, then the latest position will always be written on the map in the format you want.

This would work with any of the 3 main open source spatial SQL databases (Postgis, MySQL/MariaDB/Spatialite) as it uses very standard SQL statements. I have done similar things in the past  with Postgis & Spatialite.

A lot of these sorts of issues can be treated as layers plotting subsets of data filtered & reformatted as required - so they become data management problems rather than live GPS data problems, and normal database functionality can be used to provide the required capabilities.

Hope this helps!!

Brent Wood

Programme leader: Environmental Information Delivery
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

[cid:image23e6c9.PNG at 6908ca10.46bab324]<http://www.niwa.co.nz>

Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
T +64-4-386-0529

National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd (NIWA)
301 Evans Bay Parade, Greta Point, Wellington
Connect with NIWA: niwa.co.nz<https://www.niwa.co.nz> Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nzniwa> Twitter<https://twitter.com/niwa_nz> LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/niwa> Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/niwa_science>

To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on NIWA's IT systems.