[Qgis-user] Performance of MSSQL Server with QGIS 3.4

Baker, Matthew MATTHEW_BAKER at dpsk12.org
Mon Oct 29 10:18:01 PDT 2018

Hi all,

For some reason, our MSSQL Server experience has changed drastically with QGIS 3.4.

The issue resides in the display / refreshing of tables in the database. For some reason, the refresh hangs for many minutes (5-10), and freezes up QGIS.

Previous to our upgrade, we have had great success using MSSQL Server, and no connection issues at all.

Are there any changes to 3.4 and MSSQL that automatically implements a geometry_columns table? We haven't used one in the past, with no negative effect. Is there a process new to QGIS 3.4 that gets kicks off in the database that might be spinning causing QGIS to hang?

Everything was working fine even with version 3.2, and additionally, I tested with version 2.18 (which used to work fine), and the same issue is happening.

This issue doesn't seem to lie in the server itself, as our DB GUI's (MSSQL Server Management Studio, DBeaver, DataGrip) all seem to be behaving normally - tables displaying with no issue, queries performing fine, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you!

-Matthew Baker
Denver Public Schools