[Qgis-user] Beginner pointers on how best to access specific web based GIS dataset

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun Sep 2 03:23:58 PDT 2018

Hi Joe,

As Richard pointed out, these are ArcGIS REST services so they won't
play well with QGIS (who needs to use open-standards when you're the
de-facto standard?). Some ArcGIS boxes do support WMS/WFS but they're a
pain to manually figure out the URL (I couldn't quickly do it from the
one you linked to).

Your best bet is to use OGC services - WMS and WFS, etc. You can search
almost a million such layers with GeoSeer; there seem to be 20 layers
for Fulton, IL - https://www.geoseer.net/s.php?q=fulton+il - and
thousands if you search for "Illinois".

Cheers,

Jonathan