[Qgis-user] Convert arc .lyr to qgis

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:03:56 PDT 2018

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 19:56, Matt Boyd <mattslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi QGIS people,
> I've got a shapefile issued by one of the geological surveys with a .lyr for styling in ARC also available.
>
> I have tried a couple of plugins / converters to try to get it into something arc can read but I'm not having any luck. So far I've tried arcmap2sld and slyr. arcmap2sld crashes with an error in german and SLYR wants .style files that I don't have.

SLYR doesn't (yet) support direct lyr conversion (see
https://github.com/nyalldawson/slyr/issues/16), you unfortunately need
ArcGIS to convert lyr -> style first. But the plan is to eventually
support lyr files, avoiding this requirement.

Shoot me privately a copy of the lyr files and I'll convert them for
you. Note that slyr is still quite immature, with only certain symbol
styles convertible to QGIS. It's a heavy work in progress though, with
new symbols being added regularly.

Nyall