[Qgis-user] Bringing georeferenced rasters into QGIS

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Wed Apr 3 05:27:33 PDT 2019

Hi,

Found this on https://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#WLD.
“WLD -- ESRI World File

A world file file is a plain ASCII text file consisting of six values separated by newlines. The format is:

pixel X size rotation about the Y axis (usually 0.0) rotation about the X axis (usually 0.0) negative pixel Y size X coordinate of upper left pixel center Y coordinate of upper left pixel center
You can construct that file simply by using your favorite text editor.
World file usually has suffix .wld, but sometimes it may has .tfw, tifw, .jgw or other suffixes depending on the image file it comes with.” Therefore, nothing should have changed in QGIS and the old extensions should be good.

Are the files in same directory as your world files? Have your files and project been moved?  Maybe your project are still pointing towards an other set of files that are not georeferenced?   (Place the problematic file in a separate directory and try loading the project again with the same errors or look at the paths in the project file using notepad++.)

Try creating a world file by exporting a project to a tiff. (A world file will be created) Is the format the same?  Should be.

Did your files change names?  Have they been capitalized? (Names need to be the same). Place the raster in a separate directory and try to read any possible geotag that could override the world files.  Use gdal info for that.

Good luck

Nicolas