[Qgis-user] Mac User Issues jp2 files

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 13 20:06:48 PDT 2019

JPEG2000 has a few different drivers.  The old basic one is based on Jasper, and does not work well on large jp2s or those with special features.  The newer open driver is OpenJPEG, and it should be able to handle large jp2 files.  These two are built into the GDAL framework, and OpenJPEG is used by default over Jasper.

And there is ECWJP2 that should be able to handle almost anything.  (there are also Kakadu and MrSID JP2 drivers, but I don't build those for my Mac GDAL framework)

BUT, it looks like my GDAL build is missing OpenJPEG, something changed in how it's configured and I missed it.  I'll get a new QGIS package out with an updated GDAL with OpenJPEG.

> On Apr 12, 2019, at 8:32 PM, Ramon Andinach <custard at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Grant,
>
> There’s probably a better way, but the ECW driver includes jp2 drivers. Assuming that they’ve used the downloader on the QGIS website, then it’s a matter of downloading the ECW SDK,  adding the plugin from here https://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks/ <https://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks/>. 3.6 uses the GDAL 2.4 plugins. It’s not point and click but has fairly good instructions.
>

> William (who puts these together) or one of the other Mac users are usually able to answer questions.
>
> Ramon.
>
>> On 13 Apr 2019, at 09:14, Grant Boxer <boxerg at iinet.net.au <mailto:boxerg at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>>
>> I have been running workshops using QGIS 3.6 and the Mac users have been unable to open jp2000 images. Does anyone have a fix for this?
>>
>> Grant Boxer
>> Perth, Western Australia

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin