[Qgis-user] Distance matrix using shortest path (FH longest path and others)

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Mon Aug 26 11:28:59 PDT 2019

Dear all,
thanks indeed,
we want to optimize for the longest path, or the one with the most
habitat/pixels underneath,
or at least see all options.
It's opposite from 'minimizing'.
I am probably aware how it is computed, mathematically (=flip the
optimization),
but in case you already know or see a plug-in, or such tools and software
available please kindly advise.

Very best and thanks
      Falk

PS There is a lot of philosophy showing how utterly poor those optimization
and mindless cost/benefit tools perform in real life (=Pareto optimum
described as a 'brutal racist' tool etc
See failures of Economy or when it gets applied to humans).
It's also utterly harmful for wildlife corridors (as wildlife then is just
EXCLUDED and MINIMIZED,
instead of maximized. Just think of Movement Paths for Elephants and
computed with
Least-Cost Paths, or Circuitscape. It's pathetic. That's why economic
developers and NGOs like those tools so much.
So instead here we are looking for other options and readily-available
tools, ideally. QGIS could be a good platform for that.
Thanks.
All of this has real-world implications (urban planning, road projections,
logistics landscape design,
national park design etc)