[Qgis-user] KML into map

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 2 10:54:48 PST 2019

On 12/31/18 21:41, Phil Wyatt wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> I seem to remember that you could drag and drop kml's onto the map but this
> no longer seems to work. Does anyone know what has changed? No longer works
> in 2.18 or 3.4.
>

> In particular I am looking at live feeds. I can however open the feeds using
> the URL's within the kml via vector/URL etc
>

> Cheers - Phil

Phil,

The kml you sent is a network linked file, it doesn't contain the actual
data. kml files with the actual data still work in QGIS as expected.

$ogrinfo  gearth.kml "Tasmania Fire Service"
INFO: Open of `gearth.kml'
      using driver `LIBKML' successful.

Layer name: Tasmania Fire Service
Geometry: Unknown (any)
Feature Count: 0
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],