[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.3 becoming unusable for me on Windows 10

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 05:03:59 PST 2019

Using Richard's advice regarding startup parameters, my startup time on a
Windows 10 based pc changed from 20 seconds to under 8 seconds.

That's more than half the startup time spent on loading plugins !

Den ons. 9. jan. 2019 kl. 10.33 skrev Richard Duivenvoorde <
rdmailings at duif.net>:

> On 1/8/19 11:35 PM, Randal Hale wrote:
> > If you started a brand new Profile:  Setttings -> User Profile -> New
> > Profile does it speed up or do the same thing?
>

> Yep agreed, this would be my top speed killer investigations:
>
> - check with a fresh profile (or even rename the folder beneath it, so
> you get the 'hey upgrading from 2.x ?' message
> - really stop Windows virusscanners (that is: as admin also stop all
> scanner related services, and not that they are not 'autostarted'
> again...).
> - have a look at your Windows network drives (I know some years ago
> there were issues with getting big files from network drives on Windows)
> - thin client issues: sometimes thin clients are really too thin for
> serious work, but I've also encountered issues on more hefty clients
> - browser issues? I sometimes see the 'scanning' of folders containing a
> lot of geodata in QGIS browser panel is taking some cpu resources.
>
> Can you try to start QGIS with the following options:
>
> qgis --noversioncheck --noplugins --hide-browser
>
> (with me this takes 2 sec to start)
>
> My gut feeling is that python is slow in certain Windows environments.
>
> Last: see if on another pc you have the same issues, if possible?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde
>
> PS Happy Debian Linux user here, so all knowledge is from working at
> clients machines, my virtual Windows machine on my laptop (even that one
> is fast enough) or old posts.

Med venlig hilsen

Bo Victor Thomsen