[Qgis-user] OpenCL Crash

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 23:01:00 PST 2019

Hi,

In some Windows installations OpenCL library crashes and brings down QGIS
with it.

Unfortunately, I tried hard with the limited Windows skills that I have but
I've not been able to reproduce and debug this issue, to prevent a crash
when opening the settings dialog, I've changed the settings implementation
on 3.4.3: OpenCL is now completely disabled until the user opts-in by
clicking on the checkbox "Enable OpenCL", of course the setting is not
saved in case of a crash, so the user can restart QGIS and don't get
another crash.

Coming to the crash, one possibility is that it comes from a wrong
OpenCL.dll/lib being loaded: QGIS is compiled with a particular OpenCL
library and it ships that library, so, as suggested in the ticket, you can
try to temporarily remove the OpenCL.dll/libs that you have and leave only
the one shipped with QGIS itself.

If that doesn't work, there is a possibility that the OpenCL runtime (which
is NOT the same thing as OpenCL.dll/lib) that your CPU/GPU vendor provided
is buggy or not compatible with the OpenCL library shipped by QGIS (in
theory it should never happen, but you know ...).

Btw, if you don't mind, let's continue the discussion in the issue tracker,
it's easier to keep all related information in the same place.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:00 AM Nicolas Cadieux <
nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Activating OpenCL in QGIS 3.4.3 causes a Qgis crash (Settings -> Options
> -> Acceleration -> Enable OpenCL acceleration = crash.  I am on Windows
> 10_64, Osgeo4W installations.   Video Card is an old GTX260 with OpenCL
> 1.0 activated (with cuda 1.0) with the latest drivers (342.01).  I also
> installed the Intel OpenCL 18.1 Runtime for my CPU i7 6800K in case the
> problem was with the old GPU.  The Acceleration windows is blank below
> the "the following OpenCL devices were found on this system...". Maybe
> that is only because "Enable OpenCL Acceleration" box is not clicked?
> This issue is closed in bug report 20363.
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20363.  I added my feedback to the thread.
>
> Does anyone have any Idea how to trouble shoot this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicolas

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it