[Qgis-user] Featured plugins: nominations

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:27:59 PST 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 22:54, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> wrote:
> - RefFunctions: It has some spatial functions that really help to link features from different layers, in a different and imho simpler logic than default relations functions.

I understand that refFunctions addresses a very important feature gap
in QGIS, but unfortunately the way it is implemented is very fragile
and inefficient (e.g. access the map canvas directly from expressions
is not thread safe, and causes crashes. Also the functions need to be
updated to take advantage of efficiencies in the recent QGIS API --
e.g. the touches function loops through *every* feature in the layer
the layer and tests each individually for touching. This should
instead only fetch features from the source geometry + a small
buffer.). So I wouldn't feel comfortable highlighting this plugin
unless these dangerous code paths are addressed.

I'd love to see someone write up the feature gap between core QGIS and
refFunctions, and let's start to discuss how we can implement
efficient, thread safe versions of these functions in core itself....

> - Plugin Reloader: A must-have for anyone that is trying to create his own plugin, great complement for the Plugin Builder. I don't understand why it's still tagged "experimental".

Yes! If I recall correctly, it's tagged as experimental only because
it's directed to a small subset of users (those who write plugins),
and it was a way to "hide" it from the main plugin list for "normal"
users.

> I can also see that in the current featured list some plugins are not available in QGIS 3
> Copy canvas to clipboard

This is implemented in core itself, no need for a plugin anymore

> QuickFinder

Doesn't the locator widget and it's various plugins meet the need
previously addressed by this plugin?

Nyall