[Qgis-user] Featured plugins: nominations

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jan 24 00:00:33 PST 2019

Hi,

On 23/01/19 17:50, C Hamilton wrote:

> Lat Lon Tools <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/latlontools/> I might be
> a little biased here but it has the best coordinate snapshot and zoom to
> capabilities, a number of conversion utilities, and digitizing points
> using text strings in a number of formats.

already featured

> Shape Tools <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/shapetools/> is also
> equally used for its geodesic shape creation, geodesic digitizing
> functions, geodesic measurements, as well as a number of other tools.

already featured

> Plugin Reloader <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugin_reloader/> I
> will second this one as it is essential for plugin development although
> its user base is developers which is a subset of QGIS users.

featured

> Profile Tool <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/profiletool/> I use this
> one fairly often although I wish its graphics display looked better.

there are other similar plugins: I'd be careful about preferring one;
I'd appreciate more feedback from users. Indeed I tried to convince
developers to join efforts, without success for now

> QuickMapServices <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/quick_map_services/>
> This is very useful for quickly adding a base layer.

already featured

> Memory Layer Saver <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/MemoryLayerSaver/>
> It is nice to know that those temporary layers will still be there after
> a QGIS project is saved and reloaded.

now featured

> Freehand raster georeferencer
> <http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/FreehandRasterGeoreferencer/> This one
> has been quite useful to me this past year as I was trying to
> georeference some old maps. This has a smaller user base as it is a more
> focused tool so I don't know where you draw the line on what should be
> featured or not.

Im also unsure about this one: other opinion?

> In my opinion the featured plugins should be a combination of really
> useful plugins and newer plugins that people don't really know about,
> but have a lot of potential. Personally I would avoid plugins that are
> interfaces to commercial services - not because they are not important,
> but simply because I would prefer highlighting open source services and
> plugins. I would probably avoid plugins that are specific to a certain
> country.

totally agreed

> Those are my thoughts. If I get some time to look at some of the newer
> plugins then I might add to this.

Please keep on testing and letting us know.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: