[Qgis-user] R scripts: How to get things working and what could be changed

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Nov 4 07:43:07 PST 2019

Hi all,

I can't get my fingers dirty on python, and SQL is not a friend of mine
as well, but I managed to do a lot of more complex stuff in R.

The sad truth is, that I never managed to get a single working output of
R-scripts within QGIS. I tried several times over the years, but nothing
worked. Investigating the web does not bring up anything useful about
R-scripts within QGIS, so I wonder if there is anybody out there using
this feature successfully?

I'm mainly interested in processing vectors, but in my test of today, I
did not even manage to output a vector which I just read in and left it
unchanged.

Furthermore, the setup with "sp" and "rgdal" in charge  to read layers,
seems only able to process ESRI Shape files. Test with loaded layers
from gpkg or sqlite did not work.

In general, I switched from using sp to the sf package a while ago.
Handling geodata is sooo much more easy in sf and in connection with the
tidyverse, data crunching comes to a whole new level.

So, is there anyone facing the same problems, does anyone have hints for
me where to find some more ressources, or does anyone have an opion
about how to improve the hole thing?

Cheers,
Bernd