[Qgis-user] Handling a large number of raster layers with Qgis architectural limitations

Jésahel Benoist djes1975 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 01:58:21 PST 2019

>From my experience, GeoTIFF has a long history and is a more
appropriate format to handle multiple large rasters. As a container,
it could handle misc compression format (JPEG an other), misc
representation at different scales (resolution is not a problem), misc
color modes with raster/vectorial alpha layer, and so on. In one of my
projects I handle more than 400 raster files (4000x4000x32) without
any problem.
Of course, a better and final choice would be to tile everything, but
it is sometimes difficult with older maps.