[Qgis-user] Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Jose Mercedes Venegas Acevedo jvenegasperu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 12:17:36 PST 2019

 Good morning

What you manifest is precisely the work environment that I have assembled

You can manage all the permissions to the tables and columns directly with
postgres as well as the rights of users to be able to write or only see in
any table

Regarding backup copies, I have audit tables implemented for all insert
update and delete operations for each table. and of course a daily backup
of the database.

Regarding the rules I have direct contact with the postgres committers and
they are in disuse so I better use triggers and store procedures for
whatever you need. I eliminated all my rules and converted them into
functions or triggers at your recommendation.

I have been working with this environment for years and I have never had a
problem right now I am migrating from postgres 9.4 to 11.5 I am taking the
opportunity to rewrite and document some things of the BD and everything in
order so go ahead with your project I guess you are also enrolled in the
list of Postgres I am enrolled in the list of postgres but in Spanish.

My scenario works so I have about 50 users who consult the information have
access to the tables as read only have only select permission.

Then I have a group of editors that are approximately 8 people each one is
responsible for their layer in QGIS that layer corresponds to a table and
field geometry in postgres.

Various themes are assembled with the set of layers that the editors update
daily.

For some activities there are triggers and functions in postgres that
automate the drawing and save many clicks, that is, for example, drawing
lines from clicking on a dot layer, then the lines are drawn automatically
with the vertices of the other nearby geometries.

You can practically make QGIS really a CAD (Computer Aided Design) tool if
you put the business rules into postgraduate functions you save a lot of
hours of digitalization work.

This is what I can tell you about your query

I speak Spanish I am in Trujillo so excuse the writing I write this with
google translate

Cheers

El mié., 20 nov. 2019 a las 5:19, Hernán De Angelis (<dhdeangelis at comhem.se>)
escribió:

> Hello QGIS:ers
>
> I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use
> as data sharing/collaborating environment for spatial data. The user
> group may consist of up to 15 people, mostly using QGIS but one or two
> may use other software (non OS). Data is almost exclusively of vector
> type. The use is within a single organization.
>
> I understand some people in this list have experience with this kind of
> environment and would appreciate if any of you would share any useful
> experience, challenges, thought or things to watch out for. I understand
> basic management routines are critical (user management, user rights),
> as well as a sound backup and update strategy. I also understand that
> proper data management procedures have to be in place, like rules for
> table creation and eventual deletion, attribute selection, etc. But what
> else can go wrong with this kind of setup if not managed properly?
> Thoughts and experiences welcome!
>
> Best regards and thanks in advance
>
> Hernán

José Mercedes Venegas Acevedo