[Qgis-user] Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

Ken McCall kenrmccall at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:15:27 PDT 2019

After years of using ARCGIS, I’m using the training manual to become
acquainted with QGIS. I’ve downloaded 3.8, and worked through the first 100
pages with no problem. While  some of the 3.8 dialog boxes don’t look like
the training manual I’ve been able to see the required buttons, drop downs,
etc. But on others, I’ve hit some deadends.

For example, on page 105 when it try to create a dynamic map canvas, in
5.2.1.5, when I go to the Item *Properties Panel*, there is no *Position
and Size* section showing.

Another example: On p. 114 in ‘Creating a New Vector Dataset’, when I try
to save the dataset, I get an error message:

‘Layer creation failed: Failed to create file created_shapefile.shp:
Permission denied.

In both examples, I’ve tried several times, following the instructions,
only to get the same result.

So, questions:

Is 3.8 that different from 3.4?

Am I running into bugs in the software or the documentation? (It could be
user error, but I’m painstakingly following the instructions.)

Should I scrap 3.8 and go with 3.4 instead?

TIA,

Ken McCall