[Qgis-user] Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at geomaster.pt
Wed Oct 30 11:29:19 PDT 2019

Hi Ken,

Where are you storing the new layer? Maybe you are not selecting a
folder where you can write the new shapefile (that's why you get the
permission denied error). Can you confirm the location of the new shapefile?

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

Às 16:15 de 30/10/19, Ken McCall escreveu:

> After years of using ARCGIS, I’m using the training manual to become
> acquainted with QGIS. I’ve downloaded 3.8, and worked through the
> first 100 pages with no problem. While  some of the 3.8 dialog boxes
> don’t look like the training manual I’ve been able to see the required
> buttons, drop downs, etc. But on others, I’ve hit some deadends.
>

> For example, on page 105 when it try to create a dynamic map canvas,
> in 5.2.1.5, when I go to the Item /Properties Panel/, there is no
> /Position and Size/ section showing.
>

> Another example: On p. 114 in ‘Creating a New Vector Dataset’, when I
> try to save the dataset, I get an error message:
>

> ‘Layer creation failed: Failed to create file created_shapefile.shp:
> Permission denied.
>

> In both examples, I’ve tried several times, following the
> instructions, only to get the same result.
>

> So, questions:
>

> Is 3.8 that different from 3.4?
>
> Am I running into bugs in the software or the documentation? (It could
> be user error, but I’m painstakingly following the instructions.)
>
> Should I scrap 3.8 and go with 3.4 instead?
>

> TIA,
>

> Ken McCall

Email Signature
Logo <https://www.geomaster.pt>
*Geomaster*
*Jorge Gustavo Rocha* | Software Engineer
*e:*jgr at geomaster.pt | *m:*+351 910 333 888
*g:*41.54094,-8.40490 | *v: *510 906 109
*a: * Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga