[Qgis-user] Preferred Scale of a Polygon Shapefile?

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Sep 6 04:45:34 PDT 2019

Hi,

I think you already know it but  a well made GIS vector file should be drawn on a scale of 1:1. That means that a 1 km line like a road should mesure 1km in the GIS and not 100m.  Scaling in determined when printing the map.

But I understand your point as the amount of nodes in each line will determine the amount of details in the map as you say below.  It’s easier to automatically simplify a shape than to density a shape as that will only add new nodes but no new details.

I don’t know of any tools that can figure out what you need.  You need a good eye and some knowledge of what scales do (educated guess).  As an example, on a printing scale ok 1:50 000 (or 50k) a 50 meter feature, like the a bay on a lake would measure 1 mm on the map so if you have a 50 m bay in reality but can’t see any nodes in the polygons or polylines, then the file is to course to be printed at that scale.  (You can extract the nodes from the files to help.) A tool could try to estimate the minimum size of a feature I guess. Perhaps there is a way to calculate the node m values to figure out the distance between a node and it’s predecessor node??? Anyone? You could also generate the area for each polygon.  That would give you an idea of the smallest polygons if you sort by size.

An other way is to look at the biggest river represented by a single line.  If a river that measure 50 meters wide is represented by a single line, then, that gives you an idea of the scale.  In theory, if you know he provenance of the map, then that info should be in the metadata or the file creation standards.  The problem is that you don’t always have that info.

Hope this helps a bit.
Nicolas