[Qgis-user] Data Privacy Compliance Information

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Sun Sep 15 00:43:27 PDT 2019

Am Sa, 14.09.2019, 22:12 schrieb Ian Turton:
> I'm not aware of QGIS collecting any data during use. Is there something
> specific they are concerned about?

When I start up QGIS, it connects to several servers & services:
1. https://feed.qgis.org/?after=1568275949&lang=en
2. https://qms.nextgis.com//static/news.json
3. https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=3.9

What's this?
1. Is the news feed on the new welcome page (IP gets transmitted),
2. Is "QuickMapServices" plugin (IP gets transmitted),
3. Is getting news about updates (IP & QGIS version get transmitted).

I have checked HTTP(S) communications only right now, but there might
be others (f.e. connection to the server[s], where you can download
plugins).

So at least, there are two communications without a plugin installed
inside the core, which transfer the IP. This IP can be used to identify
users and is covered by some privacy laws.

We have to figure out, if qgis.org stores them, why, for how long and
what they're doing with this.

I've worked with an University, which had fixed IPs for all their
workers. So you was able to track them down until their office desk.
I recommended them to move to an masqueraded IP of course ;)

Best regards,
Tobias