[Qgis-user] Data Privacy Compliance Information

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Sep 21 00:31:55 PDT 2019

Hi Tobias,

On 15/09/19 09:43, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
> Am Sa, 14.09.2019, 22:12 schrieb Ian Turton:
>> I'm not aware of QGIS collecting any data during use. Is there something
>> specific they are concerned about?
>
> When I start up QGIS, it connects to several servers & services:
> 1. https://feed.qgis.org/?after=1568275949&lang=en
> 2. https://qms.nextgis.com//static/news.json
> 3. https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=3.9
>
> What's this?
> 1. Is the news feed on the new welcome page (IP gets transmitted),
> 2. Is "QuickMapServices" plugin (IP gets transmitted),
> 3. Is getting news about updates (IP & QGIS version get transmitted).
>
> I have checked HTTP(S) communications only right now, but there might
> be others (f.e. connection to the server[s], where you can download
> plugins).
>
> So at least, there are two communications without a plugin installed
> inside the core, which transfer the IP. This IP can be used to identify
> users and is covered by some privacy laws.
>
> We have to figure out, if qgis.org stores them, why, for how long and
> what they're doing with this.
>
> I've worked with an University, which had fixed IPs for all their
> workers. So you was able to track them down until their office desk.
> I recommended them to move to an masqueraded IP of course ;)

I agree that documenting QGIS behaviour would be good. However, our
resources are limited, and we need support to do this. Would you be
interested in helping?
As a general rule, however, we do not use nor store any user information.
Thanks for pointing this out.
All best wishes.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu