[Qgis-user] how to fix the raster calculator

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Tue Sep 24 03:19:09 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've been using the raster calculator lately and bumped into some
unexpected behaviour issues. They are hard to isolate but I will create
issues

One of the things is the creation of empty output grids, resulting in
raster layers with a range as described earlier in this thread:

([-1.79769e+308 to 1.79769e+308] instead of [0 1].

Somehow this was fixed after changing the locale (!) from NL back to EN.
I was using a model that contained raster calculators and a python
script running it.
No clue what it could be, maybe parameter names being translated (I hope
not!) or locale settings for decimal point/comma.

Also, the names of the model parameter are like
'qgis:rastercalculator_4:sub_calc_sqrt', still containing the
'rastercalculator_4' part which can not be found or changed using the
model editor.

Besides, I'm wondering why very common functionality is missing in the
raster calculator. I need abs() and max() functions and they don't
exist. Or am I missing something?

My solutions / work arounds using creative high school math are:

abs(a):
sqrt(a * a)
or

max(a, b):

Hope someone has a clue here. Guess I'm not the only one using vector
more often than raster...

Kind regards,
Raymond