[Qgis-user] Unable to install Qgis after Debian Upgrade to buster

Amedeo Fadini amefad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 02:02:48 PDT 2019

Hi everybody I made a dist-upgradeto debian buster

previously i was using a compiled version of libgdal 2.1 (with ecw) i
manually removed that and installed 2.4 from debian repository, installed
qgis 3.8 from qgs repository and it cant start.

The error says

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdal.so.20: undefined symbol: GTIFAllocDefn

In fact inspecting with nm -D the  libgdal.so.20 point to libgdal.so.20.0.5
and the GTIF simbol are undefined

These symbols are defined in libgeotiff2 that is amng the dependencies...

Any clue on which version of binaries and should I use and from which
repositories get them?

Amedeo