[Qgis-user] GeoPackage deadlocks (Andrea Peri)

Paul Wittle paul.wittle at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Fri Sep 27 01:06:14 PDT 2019

Hi,

We have a plan to migrate from Oracle to PostGIS but there is a lot of work to move other associated systems.

I should point out we did not move from Oracle to GeoPackage; we use Oracle for other systems. We are migrating users from MapInfo to QGIS and so I told the users to keep using the tab files at the start. This resulted in MapInfo errors and got me in hot water so I suggested they use GeoPackage instead as that is the official data type. Unfortunately that then resulted in the file deadlocks so I developed a custom python plugin to go with our install of QGIS and used that to give access to some (but not all) datasets using our existing Oracle spatial database.

I hope that provides sufficient background but you can probably see it’s not going well really as I’ve had to change my advice three times already.
Paul