[Qgis-user] Install Quick Map Services Plugin in Ubuntu 18.04

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 10:54:49 PDT 2019

Hi there,

I was following a tutorial on QGIS.org (
https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/training_manual/qgis_plugins/plugin_examples.html
)
and I can't get past step 2. I followed the link and downloaded QMS, but I
can't for the life of me get it to install. I moved it from Downloads into
usr/bin and then extracted it to create a folder. The 'readme' files might
as well be written in Mandarin (of which I'm not a speaker..).

Could anyone please help me with how to install the plugin?

Cheers,
Jimi.

10.2.1. [image: basic] Follow Along: The QuickMapServices Plugin
<https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/training_manual/qgis_plugins/plugin_examples.html#basic-fa-the-quickmapservices-plugin>

The QuickMapServices plugin is a simple and easy to use plugin that adds
base maps to your QGIS project. It has many different options and settings,
let’s start to explore some of its features.

   1.

   Start a new map and add the roads layer from the training_data
    Geopackage.
   2.

   Install the *QuickMapServices* plugin.
   3.

   Open the plugin’s search tab by clicking on Web ‣ QuickMapServices ‣
   Search QMS. This option of the plugin allows you to filter the available
   base maps by the current extent of the map canvas.
   4.

   Click on the Filter by extent and you should see one service available.
   5.

   Click on the Add button next to the map to load it.
   6.

   The base map will be loaded and you will have a satellite background for
   the map.