[Qgis-user] Creating Rectangle Around Central Point

gam17 at riseup.net gam17 at riseup.net
Tue Apr 7 05:09:35 PDT 2020

Hi Mike,
   you can use QAD plugin, run POLYGON command to draw a regular
polygon.
The command will ask the following parameters:

Enter number of sides <4>: 4
Specify center of polygon or [Edge]:
Enter an option [Inscribed in circle/Circumscribed about circle/Area]
<Circumscribed about circle>: Circumscribed about circle
Specify the circle radius <100>: 100

The radius of the circle will correspond to the square dimension.

if the center of the polygon is specified in a coordinate reference
system different from the current one:

- if the coordinate reference system is projected:
enter x,y (SRID). For example 1491621.64817, 4915622.63154 (EPSG:3003)
is a point with coordinate X=1491621.64817 and Y=4915622.63154 in the
projected coordinate reference system EPSG:3003

- if the coordinate reference system is geographic:
enter latitude, longitude (SRID). For example 44º 24' 48N/ 08º 50' 15E
(EPSG:4326) is a point with latitude 44 degrees 24 minutes 48 seconds
and longitude 6 degrees 50 minutes 15 seconds in the geographic
coordinate reference system EPSG:4326.

gam17