[Qgis-user] Creating Rectangle Around Central Point

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Tue Apr 7 04:26:28 PDT 2020

Dear Mike,

have you already tried the tool 'Rectangles, Ovals, Diamonds' of the Vector
geometry group in the QGIS Geoprocessing ?

The tool requires the input of points (you have one: your GPS coordinate).
You may choose 'rectangle' as the desired shape and the width and height of
the rectangle with 1 km.

Should work. Problems may occur perhaps, if you are trying to apply the tool
with a non-projected coordinate system. GPS devices often return only
geographic coordinates. Maybe you should reproject your central point before
applying the tool and ensure you have set a projected coordinate system with
Meters as a measure unit in your QGIS project.

Regards and good luck,
Christine

Michael Jabot wrote