[Qgis-user] How to create a hiking map with Qgis and OSM

APM apschwimmer at apmland.de
Wed Apr 8 00:49:02 PDT 2020

Dear all,

I like to create a hiking map with Qgis and ask you for some help.

My system is a small laptop with Debian stable and Qgis 3.12.1.

As a base I to use the WMS server https://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service

I like to use OSM to avoid trouble due to legal things.

I added a vector layer with WGS84 / UTM 32N and a gps vector layer.

The related gpx file is loaded with the plugin gps tool.

My first question is how to setup a scale 1:10.000?

Maybe it‘s possible to print a map with fixed scale?

Further the printed .pdf has very small letters, which are not readable.

Can I enlarge the letters or is it given by the WMS server?

Generally I like to ask if I have to render a map if I would use a
vector layer based on a OSM .pbf file in every case.
Is there a simple tool for linux to do the rendering?

I found only older tools or a very comlex solution with a comlete server.

Thank you very much for your kindly help!

Kind regards

Axel