[Qgis-user] How to create a hiking map with Qgis and OSM

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Apr 8 03:42:46 PDT 2020

Hi,

Am 08.04.20 um 09:49 schrieb APM:
> Dear all,
>

> I like to create a hiking map with Qgis and ask you for some help.
>
> My system is a small laptop with Debian stable and Qgis 3.12.1.
>

> As a base I to use the WMS server https://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service
>
> I like to use OSM to avoid trouble due to legal things.
>

> I added a vector layer with WGS84 / UTM 32N and a gps vector layer.
>
> The related gpx file is loaded with the plugin gps tool.

Is it possible, that you use a very old tutorial? For ages it is not
necessary any more to use the GPS tool plugin to load GPX files, you
just can drag and drop them into the project.

> My first question is how to setup a scale 1:10.000?
>
> Maybe it‘s possible to print a map with fixed scale?

Did you already find the Print Layout? When you draw a map frame there,
you are of course able to set a scale of your choice in the properties.

> Further the printed .pdf has very small letters, which are not readable.
>
> Can I enlarge the letters or is it given by the WMS server?

WMS tiles are normally rendered to serve for screen display. Thats why
they rarely fit for printing in respect of letters and symbology.

> Generally I like to ask if I have to render a map if I would use a
> vector layer based on a OSM .pbf file in every case.
> Is there a simple tool for linux to do the rendering?
>

> I found only older tools or a very comlex solution with a comlete server.

Rendering own maps like WMS-servers do is quite "rocket science". Never
tried it.

And adjusting QGIS styles to mimic that is also hard work.
Furthermore, for a hiking map, you would like to have hillshade and
maybe contour lines added as well.

Beware of too old informations in the web. Articles older than let's say
2 years will be most probably outdated.

And my feeling is, that support and integration of OSM-data in QGIS got
worse in the last years (missing plugins, lot of confusion)

But as I am not expert in this field, someone with more knowledge should
chime in here.

Cheers,
Bernd