[Qgis-user] QGIS in the commercial world

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Apr 14 23:18:44 PDT 2020

Hi Iain,
let me add: this is not only an ethical choice, but a very practical
one: the support you can give us will translate into very real
improvements (especially bugfixing), so that you'll enjoy a better QGIS
in the near future.
All the best.

Il 15/04/20 07:47, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> Dear Iain,
>
> Yes, QGIS has an entity: QGIS.ORG is the worldwide association of QGIS
> users and developers. QGIS.ORG is constituted as a Swiss ‘association’
> (https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/charter.html) but it is
> not a registered charity.
>
> To help support QGIS, organizations are invited to become sustaining
> members of QGIS.ORG. The details of our sustaining membership program
> are described in:
> https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sustaining_members/sustaining_members.html
>
> You can also see who's already supporting QGIS:
> https://qgis.org/en/site/about/sustaining_members.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Anita
>

> On 15.04.2020 02:13, Iain at jcis.net.au wrote:
>>
>> Andreas wrote
>>

>> /It was also good to see that 103 out of 1691 respondents represented
>> an organization with >100 users. I expected a lower number in this
>> category and was quite surprised./
>>
>> / /
>>
>> This observation triggered in me a thought that as the organisation I
>> work for is moving towards formal use of QGIS throughout its team – we
>> should be donating to the QGIS project as that would seem to be the
>> ethical thing to do. The directors would be quite open to the idea.
>> There are some questions I have.
>>

>> Is QGIS a registered charity?
>>

>> Is there an entity which we can donate to?
>>

>> What would be a suitable donation?
>>

>> Most business would write off ESRI products through their accounting
>> system as some form of tax deduction as it is a something you can buy.
>> A donation to QGIS by business would need to be structures in some way
>> to obtain a similar benefit.
>>

>> Has anyone any experience in this area?
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> *Dr Iain Stuart*
>>
>> */JCIS Consultants /*
>>
>> P.O. Box 2397
>>
>> Burwood North
>>
>> NSW, 2134
>>

>> (02) 9701 0191
>> (0413) 380116 (m)

Paolo Cavallini - QGIS.ORG Chair
www.faunalia.eu:
training, support, development on QGIS, PostGIS and more