[Qgis-user] QGIS in the commercial world

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Apr 14 23:56:21 PDT 2020

Hi Ian,

In addition to what Anita and Paolo already said, I'd like to add, that
depending on the country you live (don't know about Australia)
memberships in associations can be tax deducted. On the receiving end,
membership fees are not subject to VAT in Switzerland.

As mentioned, QGIS.ORG is not a charity. Registering an Open Source
project as charity turned out to be not so easy as expected (at least in
Switzerland) and also limits out our ability to decide ourselves how we
can spend the money we get through donations and memberships. E.g. in
Switzerland as a charity we would be limited in the ways we can invest
into QGIS as a software. E.g. we could spend our funds strictly only for
non-commercial purposes (e.g. not easily pay a company of our choice  to
improve QGIS or our infrastructure according to our wishes).

Another open source project registered in Switzerland had to split up
into two entities: one non-profit that deals with all strictly
non-commercial aspects (such as managing the community, legal stuff,
etc.) and a commercial part that handles improving the software. In most
parts of Switzerland, anything related to software development is
regarded as a commercial activity, no matter if it is open source or not.

However, if there are better countries where QGIS.ORG could be
domiciled, we could investigate. But we'd have to have a look at all of
the implications, such as stability, formalities, support or repressions
from authorities, limitations, tax situation, etc

I think OSGeo is registered as a social welfare organization in the US
(US 501(c)(4) legal status). But it also took them more than one attempt
to get there, and from what I heard they tried in more than one state in
the US. Finally, I think the travel grants they hand out to FOSS4G
conference participants each year, convinced the authorities that they
can get the social welfare status. (disclaimer: it might be slightly
different, but this is from what I remember from discussions).

BTW: we have transparency how we spend our money. Have a look at our
finance section at
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/finance/index.html

Having said all that, please contact us at finance at qgis.org should you
be interested in becoming a sustaining member.

Thanks and greeting,

Andreas