[Qgis-user] re-distributing randomly points within an existing polygon file

Håvard Tveite havard.tveite at nmbu.no
Thu Apr 16 15:35:43 PDT 2020

The "Random points inside polygons" algorithm could be of
some help.  In the upcoming (?) "Random points in polygons"
algorithm (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/35745), it is
possible to "data define" the number of points for each
polygon, so when / if that algorithm becomes available,
you just need to make sure that you have an attribute to
your polygon layer that gives the count of households that
are inside the polygon (can be generated from your
households points using the "Join attributes by location
(summary)" algorithm).

When the random points have been generated, you have to
find a way to join your existing households to the
generated points.

Håvard