[Qgis-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: 2019 USGS 7.5min topo sheets

Fielding, Eric J (US 329A) eric.j.fielding at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 21 16:03:23 PDT 2020

I was able to open a USGS GeoPDF for a 2018 map of Pasadena, Calif. with Adobe Acrobat (and Acrobat Reader) and it loaded quickly. The file is a vector file with all the line work stored as vectors. I was also able to open it in Adobe Illustrator, but that was slower. Illustrator sees the GeoPDF with only one layer, but has a huge number of vector lines for all the contours. I don’t see a raster layer in Illustrator. QGIS 3.10.3 on my Mac was not able to open the GeoPDF as either a Raster or Vector database.

I also noticed that opening the folder with the GeoPDF in Adobe Bridge caused the Bridge program to allocate 19 GB of memory, which is not very helpful on a laptop with 16 GB of RAM. I had to quit Bridge to get the memory back. This is probably similar to what people noticed with keeping the GeoPDF on the Windows Desktop.