[Qgis-user] new Ubuntu-20.04 still not up to date

Dave Kimble dave.kimble at riseup.net
Thu Apr 23 18:27:44 PDT 2020

With a clean install of Ubuntu-20.04, I downloaded qgis from the Ubuntu
repository.

This is qgis-3.10.4-A .  During the installation I was asked if I wanted
my old settings preserved, I said No.

I get different results depending on how I proceed.

A. If I open the application and choose the blank project, add New
Shapefile Layer and navigate to "DCDB.shp" I get "The layer already
exists, overwrite ?" (which seems wrong for a blank project), answer
Cancel. The input file DCDB.shp is written to a file size of 100 bytes
from 9.8 MB. This is exactly the same as the problem I was having
before, which I eventually gave up on.

B. If I don't open qgis, but simply double-click on "DCDB.shp", it opens
qgis and loads the layer, which renders correctly. I can change the
polygons' colours based on the TENURE field. I can save the project and
close, but on reopening qgis, my project is not presented. If I navigate
to the newly created ./gis/Lot11.qgz it opens as a blank project with no
layers.

At qgis.org I see that you released qgis-3.12 on 17 April 2020, less
than a week before Ubuntu-20.04 was due to be released.

At https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu , I
cannot understand what you mean by "To have newer versions, you have to
add alternative software repositories, by adding one of the deb-lines
below to your /etc/apt/sources.list file."  There are no deb lines
below. There are 15 URLs.

Please help.

Dave