[Qgis-user] Loading up .grd files into QGIS

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Aug 28 14:21:30 PDT 2020

Hi Alan,

Since you now have a .gxf file, here are my testing steps that I just
performed locally:

QGIS relies on the GDAL library for raster/vector access.  When hitting
a new format and wondering if QGIS can read it, always start by going to
https://gdal.org and scroll down the page and look for your format: for
example, you will see "GXF" listed there under raster drivers:
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/data/gxf/  Give that a read as a start
always (put another way: *always* start by reading the GDAL driver page
for your format, read the entire driver page as it usually contains
important information).

 From reading that, now you know that the GXF driver is always built by
default, so that means you should be able to use QGIS to read your QXF file.

(if you prefer the commandline, executing 'gdalinfo --formats' on your
local machine should return the GXF driver in the long response, and
then you can try 'gdalinfo myfile.gxf' )

You can actually use GDAL test data to verify this: download
"sample.gxf" from http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/data/gxf/

Open "sample.gxf" in QGIS ("Add Raster Layer") and it should look like:
https://pasteboard.co/JovJFDMF.png

Hope these steps help!  cheers from the east coast of Canada,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G