[Qgis-user] Loading up .grd files into QGIS

Fielding, Eric J (US 329A) eric.j.fielding at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 28 17:07:50 PDT 2020

Hi ajwchile,

I know of two types of geophysical files that have the .grd file extension for gridded datasets. One is the Surfer Grid and the other is the Generic Mapping Tools (GMT). I use GMT software all the time, and QGIS and GDAL usually have that GMT format included as an option.

Does the "gdalinfo" command recognize the format? If it does, then GDAL and QGIS should be able to read it. If "gdalinfo" does not recognize the format, then it is possible the files were corrupted somehow.

Best,
	++Eric Fielding
Pasadena, California