[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.16 Installation on Linux Mint

Mike Flannigan mflan at mflan.com
Tue Dec 1 18:36:02 PST 2020

Linux Mint (LM) is a fork of Ubuntu, so LM users
normally use the Ubuntu install commands located here:
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu

The command on that website that has given me problems is
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://qgis.org/debian `lsb_release -c -s`
main"

People who know more than me say that `lsb_release -c -s` returns
"tricia", which is unknown to the QGIS repo.  Only the Linux Mint repo
knows the LM 19.3 nickname tricia. The rest of the world needs to be
given the Ubuntu nickname bionic instead, because LM 19.3 tricia is
based on Ubuntu 18.04 bionic.  So they tell me to change that command to
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://qgis.org/debian bionic main".
That worked for me.

"So what" you may say.  We say it is for Debian and Ubuntu, not LM.
That is true, but there are apparently more Mint users than either
Ubuntu or Debian users:
https://distrowatch.com/

I just wonder if that line should be changed to
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://qgis.org/debian bionic main"

If not, then maybe there is another way to correct this problem for
LM users.

Mike