[Qgis-user] MemoryLayerSaver plugin - Is there a way to recover data?

Julien K. jkr.mlist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 08:17:25 PST 2020

Hi Chris,

thank you for your message, sorry for my late answer.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 7:53 PM Chris Crook <ccrook at linz.govt.nz> wrote:

> This is not a known problem/bug to me (MLS author).  Probably wouldn't be
> much use filing a bug report unless you have steps to reproduce creating
> and then failing to read the .mldata file, as there would be no way of
> testing.

I don't remember, one morning I opened the project and my 2 memory layers
were empty. Not a big loss since they were easy to recreate.

>   Does it report any particular error when it tries to load the file?

No, there's nothing relevant to the MLS plugin in the log panels:

2020-02-02T16:21:17     WARNING
warning:C:\local\OSGEO4~1\apps\Python37\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\uic\objcreator.py:152:
DeprecationWarning: 'U' mode is deprecated

2020-02-02T16:21:17     WARNING
warning:C:/Users/xxxxxxx/AppData/Roaming/QGIS/QGIS3\profiles\default/python/plugins\quick_map_services\qgis_proj_helper.py:8:
DeprecationWarning:

> Do you know of anything that might have changed between when you saved the
> project and when you are trying to reload it.

None that I'm aware of. The whole QGis folder is on a OneDrive folder on my
machine so since my first message I tried to open several combination of
(QGis project/mldata file) depending on the backup date ; at best the
project opens but nothing shows up in the memory layers, at worse the whole
thing crashes.

>   What version of QGIS was the project saved with.

3.10. (rel-dev) on Win64 (Osgeo4w), now 3.10.2 but when I lost the memory
layers it was maybe 3.10.1.

> I doubt that another program would be able to read the file if the memory
> layer saver plugin cannot, it would just be doing the same python/Qt stuff
> that it is already doing.  If the file is corrupt then it might be possible
> to read the data to the point at which it fails.

Yes, I was thinking of a step-by-step reading tool with output.

>  At the moment it is designed to read all or nothing.  It could be
> modified fairly easily to read the data up to the point at which it fails
> (either on a layer by layer or feature by feature basis).

I'll have a look at it when I have more time...

Regards,
Julien