[Qgis-user] QGIS running on RDS server

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sun Feb 9 23:16:27 PST 2020

On 2/9/20 9:33 PM, Sandra Menares wrote:

> Hi Community,
>
> We are planning to install QGIS on a Remote Desktop Server using
> Windows 2016 server with Hyper-V.
>
> 1.Does QGIS runs in a virtualized environment?

Sure; least of your problems.

> 2.Does the virtual host needs special graphics card, like ArcGIS does?
> �Like a NVDIA GRID card to pass through GPUs to the VM?
> https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/on-premises-overview.htm

I don't believe so, no.

> 3.What would be the minimum hardware requirements? CPU, RAM?

No telling without knowing what all the aggregate use cases of your
usership will be. That being said, Windows is a hog and it's a poor
excuse for a multiuser application platform. Were it me and I wanted to
supply a central QGIS deployment to a user population, I'd set up QGIS
Server on Linux and be done with it. That gets you away from having to
pay for Remote Desktop Client Access Licenses (the cost of which scales
with the size of the usership) or server OS licenses.