[Qgis-user] QGIS and PostGIS, dimensions problems

Jakob Götesson jakob.gotesson at boras.se
Thu Feb 13 23:05:58 PST 2020

Hello everyone!

I have a point-layer in Postgis v12 which is ST_pointZ according to PostGIS.

When creating a new point in QGIS and then tries to save it, I get an error:

" Column has Z dimension but geometry does not"

When looking in to the object identifier the derived attributes only contains X and Y. However, the rest of the points that loads from the database has a Z-value set to 0 attached to them. So i get that my created point dosen´t have a Z-value.

Isn't it possible to create new data in 3 dimensional tables from Postgis in QGIS? Even with a deafult value of 0, I don´t even need to specify the Z-value at this moment.

(Found a work around but I prefer not to use this:
If I save the QGIS-project and open the .qgs-file in text editor and look into the datasource-tag for the the layer I have:

type=Point

When changing this to:

type=PointZ

saves the project and try to create a new object, it works fine.)

Regards

Jakob Götesson
GIS-ingenjör
Borås Stad - Samhällsbyggnadsförvaltningen
Kungsgatan 55, 501 80 Borås
033-35 84 66
boras.se
facebook.com/borasstad