[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 03:43:07 PST 2020

Hi team,

Well, this is a bit embarrassing. I've just started working with GIS data
in Blender (BlenderGIS is a great add-on if anyone doesn't know it
already). Anyway, I was trying to add a reference basemap to a Blender
project with polygons in it and I got an error message telling me to
install GDAL. I'm a total novice at both Blender and QGIS, so I read
around and people recommending adding the GDAL PPA in QGIS directly. I did
so following the Linux guidelines here:
https://developers.planet.com/planetschool/gdal-qgis-installation-setup/

On doing so it uninstalled QGIS and won't let me reinstall it. Can I undo
this action?
I get the following error message about broken dependencies:

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3
        Depends: libqgis-analysis3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-app3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-core3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libqgis-gui3.10.2 but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: python3-qgis (= 1:3.10.2+28bionic) but it is not going to
be installed
        Depends: qgis-providers (= 1:3.10.2+28bionic) but it is not going
to be installed
        Recommends: qgis-plugin-grass but it is not going to be installed

I don't want to run 'sudo apt-get autoremove' (I run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
because it would remove over a gigabyte of dependencies, and I'll no doubt
end up with tons of problems.

Can I solve this manually without autoremove or formatting so I can
reinstall QGIS and get working?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks team,
Jimi.