[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Feb 18 04:49:45 PST 2020

Hi Jimi,

Am 18.02.20 um 12:43 schrieb J. M:
> Hi team,
>
> Well, this is a bit embarrassing. I've just started working with GIS data
> in Blender (BlenderGIS is a great add-on if anyone doesn't know it
> already). Anyway, I was trying to add a reference basemap to a Blender
> project with polygons in it and I got an error message telling me to
> install GDAL. I'm a total novice at both Blender and QGIS, so I read
> around and people recommending adding the GDAL PPA in QGIS directly. I did
> so following the Linux guidelines here:
> https://developers.planet.com/planetschool/gdal-qgis-installation-setup/

This is outdated by a few years. The current setup for QGIS can be found
here:

<https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu>

You have two choices: With or without the ubuntugis ppa.
The ppa holds GDAL 3.0.2 along with all dependencies.
Without the PPA, you can get GDAL 2.2.3

QGIS supports both channels, using a different folder to download from.

> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>   qgis : Depends: gdal-abi-2-2-3

This seems to be the QGIS version without ubuntugis support.

Try
deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

and it should work.

After re-installing, you should be able to install gdal-bin too.

If you want (or must) to stick to GDAL 2, remove all ubuntugis
references, and take QGIS from the ubuntu repo.You might need to remove
GDAL 3 if you already installed it.

HTH,
Andre Joost