[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 14:58:41 PST 2020

Hi again Andre,

I don't actually understand what to do with this, because I can't run 'sudo
apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass' as it keeps giving me the same
error messages about broken packages.
When you say this, I don't get what this link does. I click on it and it
just takes me into a file hierarchy. Are users supposed to obtain the
downloads from here, or is it purely informative?
Try
deb https://qgis.org/ubuntugis bionic main

and it should work.

After re-installing, you should be able to install gdal-bin too.

If you want (or must) to stick to GDAL 2, remove all ubuntugis
references, and take QGIS from the ubuntu repo.You might need to remove
GDAL 3 if you already installed it.

As for removing all ubuntugis references, I have no idea where to start
with that. I opened Synaptic package manager and searched for QGIS, but
there are so many dependencies and related files I have no idea what to
remove before attempting to reinstall it. I still don't understand how
attempting to install the GDAL PPA caused the QGIS to get uninstalled (I
certainly wouldn't have done it if I'd thought it was going to remove the
software). Are there any other operations like this I should be aware of,
updates or similar which can cause QGIS to just disappear? Ideally I'd like
to remove all the repositories and dependencies which aren't strictly
necessary for the current version to run. Is there a way to check the
dependencies needed in the terminal or somewhere and filter out all the
others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Jimi.