[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 04:22:30 PST 2020

Hi again Andre,

Thanks for that, I more or less get what you mean. The problem is that when
I ran autoremove it came back with almost a gig of dependencies it wanted
to remove, so I cancelled it! QGIS wasn't the last program I installed so I
have no idea how to purge only the dependencies directly related to the
previous version of it I was running. If I run autoremove and it damages
other applications or makes my system unusable then I won't be able to fix
it (I'm only a user, I've got no background in programming). I read around
and people warned strongly against doing this unless you're sure what you
want to remove. How can I be sure I only remove the right dependencies?
Does QGIS have a list or something I can use as a guide?

If anyone could explain how to use Synaptic package manager then I'd be
really grateful! It must have the most unintuitive interface of any piece
of software I've ever tried to use..

I edited the source file last time I installed it, so that part is done.
Incidentally, I don't see the 'other Software' tab in the Ubuntu Software
Center, so I just edited it manually. Any idea what that package is called?
I'm happy enough using the terminal if I know (roughly) what I'm doing!

Thanks a lot team,
Jimi.