[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 02:54:37 PST 2020

Hi guys!

Well thanks for all that info! Ben, I completely failed to understand what
you explained before about your OS, but I get it now! I was happy with 3.10
anyway, so that's great. I'll have a go at removing ubuntugis-unstable and
I'll edit my source file accordingly. Incidentally, it might be a good idea
to explain that on the site because I've been redirected there many times
and always just gone somewhere else to get instructions about what to do.
For software engineers it's maybe logical, but for end users like me it
seemed like reference information, entirely unrelated to the actual
installation process.

Andre, thanks again! I'm not sure how to remove the ubuntugis files to be
honest, if purging QGIS doesn't work. I erased the GPG manually (sudo
nautilus) because I hadn't encountered an easy way, but then I ran
autoremove qgis and I thought that would take care of everything related to
it, including PPA's (the command removed stuff connected with FreeCAD, for
example, which has no connection whatsoever).
The key is for the whole ubuntugis project, regardless of the branch you
are using. Same goes for QGIS.
That makes sense, and explains the error message about it.

Okay, one last question:
And add "python3-qgis" to your install command.
I don't know enough about linux syntax to include this without dropping the
ball.
Maybe 'sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass python3-qgis'?
Should I start again and run autoremove qgis, etc, or can I attempt it from
where I am?

Thanks again!!
Jimi.