[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

J. M jimimckay at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 09:29:26 PST 2020

Hi Ismail!

Thanks for your help; your instructions were very clear. I had another go
and it still doesn't work! Haha, I'll end up calling NASA or something..

Here's what I get:
sudo apt-get remove libgdal20
[sudo] password for jimi:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'libgdal20' is not installed, so not removed
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 57 not to upgrade.
jimi at jimi-System-Product-Name:~$ dpkg -l | grep gdal
ii  gdal-bin                                   3.0.2+dfsg-1~bionic2
                    amd64        Geospatial Data Abstraction Library -
Utility programs
ii  gdal-data                                  3.0.2+dfsg-1~bionic2
                    all          Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Data
files
ii  libgdal26                                  3.0.2+dfsg-1~bionic2
                    amd64        Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
ii  python3-gdal                               3.0.2+dfsg-1~bionic2
                    amd64        Python 3 bindings to the Geospatial Data
Abstraction Library

The package I was trying to install was actually libgdal20, following
Andre's last suggestion:
sudo apt-get install libgdal20=2.2.3+dfsg-2

I'm still not clear about what the ubuntugis PPA is needed for, or what
gdal even is.. It probably seems like I'm emailing with every problem, but
each time I do it's after I've spent an hour googling things and trying
stuff. I'm really struggling to understand why QGIS is so dispersed, and
why I can't isolate everything and purge it for a clean reinstall..

Any further help would be greatly appreciated because I'm completely out of
ideas.
Cheers,
Jimi.