[Qgis-user] Question on Project Properties - Ellipsoid

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Jul 13 12:58:46 PDT 2020

I hope everyone is staying safe out there.

So I've had some questions regarding setting up a QGIS Project and now
I've convinced myself that I'm doing this wrong. When I get a new
project in and I start setting up QGIS generally my project will be in a
Stateplane projection - in this case EPSG:2274 (TN Stateplane NAD83).
When I set up the project I change the ellipsoid to be
"none/planimetric" (In the project properties). I don't set up the
ellipsoid to be GRS 1980 and haven't for some time. Now I'm getting a
ballpark transformation message if I move data from 2274 to 4326 (for
instance I'm moving points to a GPX Format).....BUT - if I set the
Ellipsoid to be GRS 1980 (which it is for that projection) - no warning.
Which now has me thinking MAYBE I should set the ellipsoid..... EXCEPT
my area measurements always come out a bit larger than expected. So I go
back to "none/planimetric".....BUT - is that causing issue with
reprojecting data........

Any thoughts? Thanks for any support or pointing me in a direction.

Randy

--
Randal Hale
rjhale at northrivergeographic.com