[Qgis-user] Where to store style files (qml, sld) - best practices

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:13:47 PDT 2020

Hi,
this is an interesting question. It depends a lot on your dataset
organization workflow and how users access to the data and symbology
information.

I see some scenarii outhere :

- traditional file system tree. Store the styles along with the files.

- all in database, where users are autonomous for storing data and styles,
at the cost of having to know how to explore a database structure : you can
user the layer_style table to store styles

- organizations with GIS admin, we consider that average users should not
have to know what a qml or a database is to be able to use QGIS. The idea
here is to store all the reference layers into a few centralized QGIS
projects, and wire all QGIS instances with menu_layers_from_project plugin
so that a simple drop down menu will allow users to add pre-styled layers
(with also metadata, forms &co) to their project in one click.  This is my
favourite one because we take into account also some informations that may
not be stored in QML
, like metadata, which are really useful.  This options assumes you can
pre-configure your GIS clients everywhere, and QGIS has all the admin tools
you need for this.

Best regards

Régis